Basically, I spent 2018 mulling what I had written since 2012. I also did a lot more research on the science, technology, history and every other subject that the story invoked. And, along the way I found that my characters grew in stature in my thought, all the good and bad and confusing aspects of their lives somehow sorted out into a clearer picture.
In December I started using the Word’s ‘read’ feature to blabber out the words I’d written, chapter by chapter and this was very helpful for finding a variety of poorly written sentences and getting me back into the swing of the story. I have a new target for the delivery of a final draft to my editor, April 2019. I’ve also send 12 chapters to a science fiction author for a beta read. In short, things are moving forward again.
For the first time since I started this project in earnest, 2012, I feel good about the story, it’s plot and subplots, it’s pace and suspense, and my protagonists voice. I think this story is going to work. Whether or not the story is any good, I don’t know but it’s the story I want to tell and in the way I want to tell it. Well, mostly. The part of this endeavor that falls outside of ‘mostly’ is my ever increasing awareness of my own weaknesses as a writer. Still, I have found the confidence to move forward again, into the realm where many are called but few are chosen.
PS: It has occurred to me that I really need to combine this journal with my main blog. It will require a lot of work, but having multiple blogs serves no real purpose. More on this to come.